Saturday, February 1, 2020

It's a Quarter...


Hey All, I know, I know… It’s been longer than it should have. However, If you remember one of my last blogs I made a promise that I would not under any circumstances post about things in my life if I have not found the “other side”. I have unfortunately not been able to find the other side of some of the events that have taking place. But I thought I might write about somethings that have happened and are just simple stories.

Last December we had one of Sundays that was just a brutal day weather wise. But it’s the kind of weather I like. It’s cold, dark, raining… and let’s not forget windy. I know, it’s strange for anyone raised in Middle Georgia to like this type of weather. But I can’t help it. Mostly because it gives me a really good excuse to make some chili. And that is exactly what I did.

I don’t live far from an Aldi so I went up there to get my ingredients. In case you are unaware of how Aldi operates with their carts. You put a quarter into the car and it unlocks it. When you return your cart you get your quarter back. 

After I had placed all of items into my bags after checking out. I was getting ready to leave when a woman stopped me, “Excuse me sir. Could I give you a dollar for your cart? I don’t want to stand in line to get quarters.” You could see the angst in her eyes and hear the desperation in her voice. 

“Ma’am you can just have the cart. I’m not taking a dollar for a quarter.”

“Sir all I have is a dollar. I don’t have any quarters.”

As I took my things from the cart and passed it to her I said, “Ma’am please just take the cart. It’s a quarter… I’ll survive. Have a good day.”

She took her dollar and placed it back in her clutch and as she placed it in the cart. She looked up at me with tears in her eyes and mouthed, “Thank You.” In such a low level that I never heard her say it. Just saw her lips move. 

This happened right around Christmas. “Tis the season” right? What about the rest of the year? Why not just be kind when we see the opportunity brewing? Just love for the sake of love. 

Do it in such a way that no one knows. If you do it for the recognition the true impact of helping a fellow human being is lost. I believe that people are worth a couple of things. One of them is kindness. I’m not saying that you have to be a doormat and let people walk on you. You can be kind and not be a doormat.

When love is shown and given, the impact is made… a quarter is capable… 

No comments:

Post a Comment