Sunday, September 24, 2017

Brewing In Waffle House

This morning I awoke and headed out to take my place at the counter of my local Waffle House, and one of my favorite songs came on the radio: Brighter Days by JJ Grey and Mofro. They are incredible! This song is a reflection upon his past, of leaving what he knew to become a recording artist. He sings of his past hopeful for his future. I've listen to it about 3 times today and it got me thinking.

Several weeks ago I walked into Waffle House as I would normally do on Sunday to eat lunch by myself. (I know that probably sounds pathetic.) However, on this particular Sunday I was ousted from my normal seat at the bar where I am able to watch the cooks ... which is my entertainment during my Sunday lunch.

As I sat jealous over the people who had booted me from my lofty perch at the bar, I noticed that a mother and her four children (3 girls and a boy) had come in and sat to my left at the lower bar.  The children were very well behaved and respectful to each other, their mother and the "Waffle House Salesperson". I saw the expression on the mother's face and it was one of joy and contentment.  My immediate thought was, "I wonder what the dad's up to?" I knew she wasn't a single mother ... that wasn't the point of the thought.  

A few minutes later I felt this presence enter the building behind me and I knew immediately who it was.  It was the dad/husband.  He walked behind me and to his children kissing each one on their heads and then kissed his wife like he had done a hundred times before. But you could tell it was not out of obligation or routine.  It was pure love for his family.  

I sat there wondering if I was the only one caught up in this moment.

There was a single man sitting in a booth behind this family.  He tapped this massive father/husband on the shoulder and said, "Sir, sit and enjoy your family," as he pointed offering the booth.  You could tell that the man offering the booth was tired and it was obvious he had worked the bulk of the night and most of the morning.  I witnessed these moments and I wanted so badly to do something for this family. Buying their lunch is what I really wanted to do but I knew that it just wasn't possible for me to do. But as soon as I saw the kind man offer his booth to this family, I knew that I wanted to buy that man's lunch. 

I had just had someone do something incredibly nice for me and really help me out.  I told them that I couldn't pay them back and they simply said, "Keep your eyes open and pay it forward. That's how you'll pay me back."  Well I guess you could say that's what I was doing.

This particular event opened my eyes to a few other things.  I had been asking myself why I had chosen to call this blog Sacred Brewings, because the more I write, the less it seems to fit.  It actually dawned on me this morning while again sitting in Waffle House. (Are you sensing a theme?) Jesus said that He only does what He sees the Father doing.  He "brews" along side of the Father.  

The other thing is that I have been writing and posting to this blog as a way of dealing with my thoughts and feelings, which is no secret to anyone who has read it. My problem with this mentality is that I don't feel like I am really looking at these events the way that I am suppose to.  I am dwelling a lot on what has happened and not what is and what will.  If we are to "brew" along side the Father, then looking back and dwelling on what could have been is not the way to live. Our Brighter Days are not behind us but very much ahead of us!

Since that morning in Waffle House, I have been trying to live with a "what can be" mentality, and I will do my best to post with that same mentality ... always finding the other side and Brighter Days.

Cheers! And Happy Brewing! 

I have attached a link for the song Brighter Days.

No comments:

Post a Comment